Monday 7 April 2008

Secret Vices #3: Time - Electric Light Orchestra

I was brought up on Beethoven and the Rolling Stones with a bit of ELO thrown in for good measure. I'm not really sure why I like this album - it's a concept album (a good 10 years after concept albums were in vogue) and according to wiki it "tells the story of a man, circa 1981, who is taken away by time travelers to the late 21st Century. Once there, he marvels at the wonders that the future offers, but is also increasingly amazed to find that he longs for his own time (the past) and the woman he left behind because of his journey forward". Sounds great eh? Why anyone would hanker for 1981 is beyond me - all I can remember was race riots, a huge economic recession, having my teeth knocked out in a car crash and Manchester City losing the FA Cup Final to Spurs (an event that has caused significant psychological trauma since). Anyway Time has some cool computerised vocals, Jeff Lynne momentarily forgetting he was trying to be The Beatles circa Sgt Pepper and a couple of horrendous tracks.

No comments: