Wednesday 9 January 2008

Lowest Common Denominator Culture

In my blog of the 7th Jan I suggested that it is a valid question to ask whether, as a population, we are dumbing down and if so, who benefits from this.

As to who benefits - I'm still working on that one! But it has led me to thinking about other areas of dumbing down and lowest common denominator culture. For me the most stark change has been in the area of television documentaries. I remember that the only book I would pick up and read in my Grandparent's spare room was Jacob Bronowski's book-of-the-TV-series "The Ascent of Man" (mainly because of the many pictures - I was quite young!). I did not see the actual series until after the 40th anniversary celebration for BBC2 where I saw a small segment that nearly moved me to tears (and caused me to go out and immediately buy the DVD); Bronowski was at Auschwitz where many members of his family died and gave the most impassioned speech;

"When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods........ Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible. In the end the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: 'I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.'....We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power. We have to close the distance between the push-button order and the human act. We have to touch people"

Words that are forever etched on my brain.

Bronowski challenged the viewer (so much so that I still don't understand his programme on Einstein!) as did Kenneth Clarke with Civilisation.

Now compare these two giants to what is offered today. We have Alan Titchmarsh in a very well made but pointless British Isles - A Natural History - a gardener cum romantic novelist reading from a script that assumes that you are an eight year old child and which he hardly understands himself. Or even worse Simon Schama's Power of Art. How someone thought it would be a good idea to dramatically recreate (with all the assumptions that come with such a recreation) famous paintings is beyond me - obviously they'd all been on the Bolivian marching powder.

(** rant on) Note to TV Producers: Get out of the bog and stop snorting that gak. Stop racing for ratings. And stop thinking we're all bloody EIGHT YEAR OLDS. (** rant off)

No comments: