Friday 11 January 2008

Worcester Library - Likes/Dislikes

I seem to spend an inordinately large part of my day in Worcester Library with it having free internet access so that I can write this blog, Facebook, flog my record collection and, of course, look for work.

LIKE: Sitting outside smoking a fag and guessing who walking by has been in the County Court next door – it’s a great game; Solicitor? Witness? Defendant on bail? Jury member? Judge?

DISLIKE: The computers on the right as you walk in. Full of swearing feral kids – there’s two who can’t be much older than 9 or 10 who are constantly cadging for fags and who seem to be banned on a daily basis. And Chavs – if you want to see what sportswear or baseball caps are in with the Warndon posse this is the place to go. My favourite overheard conversation (I might have my headphones but I’m not always listening to music! )

Girl: “Have you seen the scan?”
Boy: “That ain’t a baby. Babies don’t exist until they’re born.”
Girl: “I wonder whether they’ll let me keep it when I’m in prison.”
Boy: “I’m off. See you later”.

LIKE/DISLIKE: I’ve got nothing against the Poles but do ALL pretty Polish girls have to have Polish boyfriends? Favourite Pole story comes from X (name changed, obviously) who was chatting to one in a bar;

Polish Bloke: “I love this country! I love this country!”
X: “Why?”
Polish Bloke: “I buy car for £400. It gets stolen. Insurance company gives me £500. I love this country! I love this country!”

I was also approached by a Pole (although he could have been from another Eastern European country) outside "You have fire?", he asked. It took my a couple of seconds to register the rollie in his mouth and realise he wanted a light.

DISLIKE: Being squashed. Getting the right computer terminal is important. There are some that give you ample arm width and enough space to lay your notepads out and there’s some where you seem on top of your neighbours. X (name changed - it could be the same person as the previous X, or it could not!) was complaining about this overcrowding which surprised me somewhat as they have mastered the technique of looking like they are working at their computer whilst surreptiously reading the email being composed by the person next to them.

LIKE: Meeting old friends. Especially X (name hasn’t been changed as I can’t remember his name anyway) – due in court this month after being arrested at an animal rights demo ages ago. I often lend an open ear to him. Hope he gets off.

DISLIKE: The partially sighted bloke who doesn’t plug his headphones in properly so I have to listen to a Speak and Spell description of every website he’s visiting.

LIKE: The smackhead constantly falling asleep at his computer. He makes me laugh purely because it reminds me that my life could get worse.

DISLIKE: The IT muppets at County Hall. Surely they can keep the bloody system working for a whole week? No? Thought not.

REALLY DISLIKE: The hoodie with a swastika tattooed on his hand sitting next to me. He really scares me.

No comments: