Monday 7 January 2008

Ill Considered Resolutions

I made an ill considered resolution before Christmas to re-read all the Douglas Coupland's books before I would read his new one, The Gum Thief, that I'd requested from my mother as a Christmas present. I've done Generation X, Shampoo Planet and Life After God and last night managed three quarters of Microserfs. I'm not looking forward to Girlfriend In A Coma as it's the only book ever to make me cry (and for the record the Elephant Man is the only film - I watched it once with an old housemate, Sarah, about 15 years ago and we had a pack of tissues handy as we blubbed our way through it!).

At least asking for Christmas presents has got so much easier (and more importantly now get presents I really want!). Usually it's just the url for the item at Amazon emailed to my mother - this year it was even easier as I was at her home so I just added it to her shopping basket (where I could also see what other family members were getting!)

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Good resolution! Girlfriend in a Coma is without doubt my fave Coupland. And The Gum Thief is pretty good - I have a signed copy ("To Jennifer Heidi", no less!)...

Simon said...

Girlfriend had me blubbing like a baby a couple of nights ago! And I think I found all the Smith's song titles in it as well! Where did you get to see Doug then? The Gum Thief is the first book of his I haven't brought at release (due to ongoing skint-a-rama problems!) for ages although I did get the signed special edition of JPod with the little lego-like figure though.

Jenn said...

I met him at the Cheltenham Lit Fest last year. We discussed the following:
1. My middle name and its origins
2. British ports and the fact that I've lived in two of them
3. The fact that Canadians and Brits write the date in different ways and the fact that he'd been accidently writing the wrong date in everyone's books (mine included).

Possibly the best moment of my entire life thus far.

Simon said...

You didn't start blushing and hyperventalating did you? I don't get these Canadians - they swear they're different from Americans and then use their same spelling, date format etc!

Jenn said...

You know me, of course there was blushing!

Simon said...

did see a picture of him with a rather shaggy grey-tinged beard. He looked a bit of a hobo. He should buck his ideas - he's the spokeman for a generation!